Thursday, January 24, 2008

The Return and the value of disposable goods

The other night I went to the local grocery store that offers so much more than just groceries. I needed small speakers for my DVD player to work properly. So I purchased a pair that cost 198 RMB or about $25US. When I got home and opened them it is blatantly obvious that these were used significantly. Heck they were so beat up the looked like they had been in a fire.

So I take them to work the next day and explain it to my colleague. She then explains the situation to my driver who will then return them that night with me. We get to the store (keep in mind just one night after I purchased them) and Bob takes them to the return desk. We get a receipt to take them up to electronics. Then we have to get the receipt signed upstairs by security, which seems a bit redundant. Once we get in the department finally the questioning begins. They open the box and see the problems. But it's obvious without understanding Chinese that they think these are very old and I'm trying scam them. They match up serial numbers, production lot numbers from the box, etc. Next thing I know we have 5 employees trying to solve this $25 problem!

After calling my office and that person speaking to my driver I find out the driver thinks "They sold him a piece of sh*t." They certainly did.

Finally they agreed, I think, to replace these. But no luck they are out, no more. So I try to buy the floor model. Yup, no luck. Those don't work. We finally find another pair, same brand and a bit more expensive - another $3US. They test them and they work.

After 1 1/2 hours the problem is solved! The lesson is only to buy disposable stuff because with the language and culture trying to make a return simply isn't worth it.

2 comments:

jane y said...

Let the buyer beware, indeed!
My impression is that no one lost their cool in this exchange? I think there is something frustrating but wonderful about it all.

nmitchell said...

I didn't lose my cool. Matter of fact I was laughing about it the whole time as it was all for $25. However sometimes with the Chinese language being tonal you can't tell if they are arguing or just talking.

I loved it! Nolan