Friday, March 22, 2013

Learning to drive

Driving in China is a bit different than back in the states.  It has gotten much, much better over the past couple of years though.  I think in part this is due to them having more experience, keep in mind as recently as 20 years ago there were limited cars on the road and mostly bicycles.

Speaking of bicycles I have long said that they drive cars the way they ride bikes, which in fact makes it relatively safe as long as everyone is that way.  They drive slowly, merge effortlessly but the difference is a bike vs bike collision is rarely too harmful.  Car vs car can be devastating.  Car vs bike is really bad.  Heck as I know firsthand car vs motorcycle simply sucks!

In any event another description is that they drive like a school of fish swim.  One moves they all move almost in unison.  Again great for here, bad if you were to drive like that elsewhere.

Lately some colleagues have been taking driving lessons.  I find something really weird at least going back to when I took driving lessons.  As I recall the instructor always said keep the hands at 10 and 2.  Here I have polled a few drivers to see what they were taught.  The older ones, my age and up, were also taught 10/2.  However the younger folks are 4 and 8, so at the bottom of the wheel.  To me that constricts movement, especially in a critical situation.

Any of you have kids or know folks who have recently gotten their license in the US or other places?  What is the current training method?  Would love to know.


No comments: