Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Vacation in Bali...part 1

So what is my agenda during my vacation to Bali?  To relax, get some sun, see the culture, etc but the most important piece is getting the rest and relaxation to make it to the next holiday which will be Christmas in the states.

First things first I had to get to Bali.  First I took a red eye flight from Shanghai to Singapore, landing about 5:30AM.  My connection to Bali wasn't until 4:30PM so I had 11 hours to kill.  Thankfully because of status on United airlines and therefore their partner Singapore Air I had access to the lounge.  But that wasn't enough since I didn't really sleep on the flight.  So at 9AM I tried the airport transit hotel in the Singapore airport.  I got a 6 hour room for about $50.  It was the best decision ever.  Quiet and pitch black room allowed me to somehow sleep for more than 5 hours at which time it was time to get on my plane.

Arriving in Bali I used points to stay at the Westin in Nusa Dua.  This is the high class resort area and was great.  My plan was to stay there for 3 nights before finding another hotel in a different part of town.

My next problem was found when I tried to use my US debit card to get cash and found that it expired in August!  Crap!  My China debit card is not accepted outside of China so now I'm here with no cash and no easy way to get it.  Thankfully the folks at the Westin helped arrange with a bank for me to get some against my credit card.  Not enough for the trip but enough to get started.

With that behind me and finding the next hotel the rest of the trip was set.  I've got 1 full day and 2 half days with a tour guide taking me to the must see places.

So far so good...

No comments: