Sunday, March 6, 2011

Medicinal Wine

On a recent trip to Dongguan (southern China) we had lunch with a factory.  The food itself was excellent, so much better than the style of food in Shanghai.  For those of you not very familiar with Chinese food it is very regional in style and taste.  Some areas are very spicy, some more fish, some hot pot, some sweet/slimy (Shanghai), some rice, some noodles.  You get the idea.  Well this place was good...until...

We were leaving and they showed me some special bottles of wine that are very expensive and typically used for medicinal purposes.  I couldn't take photo of them all as a couple just looked normal.  For instance there was a bottle filled with ants and another one with bees in it.  Those just looked like a pile of something at the bottom of the bottle.

Then there was this...
It's a little tough to tell but the image above is a bottle filled with scorpions! 

And then the absolute kicker and one that nearly made me lose my lunch right there...

Yes folks that is probably what you think it is.  Those are mice fetus!  Who in their right mind drinks that and why???

1 comment:

Natalie said...

Oh my great nastiness! I could wretch right here right now, and I am usually not very squeamish!