Thursday, July 5, 2012

Hong Kong fireworks

I was done in Hong Kong this past weekend for work and it happened to be a major holiday weekend there.  They were celebrating a new leader taking office as well as the 15th anniversary of the change-over from British rule to Chinese rule.

Knowing the transition from British to Chinese rule would not be easy the transition period is 50 years long so there are still 35 years to go until it's 100% Chinese.  The whole situation is a bit strenuous as there are many Hong Kongese who are not happy with the change.  They feel life was better under British rule and therefore there were reports of about 10,000 people protesting during the leadership change.  All in all I didn't see any of that but I did see some amazing fireworks.

 These were all taken from my hotel room in the Sheraton in Kowloon and all taken with my iPhone.  So while they are good, I'm sure they could be better with a better camera.
 I went for a run in the AM and saw no less than 15 shipping barges heading out with all the fireworks loaded on them.  It was truly a sight to see, but I didn't have the phone with me.
 The word on the street was that the cost of the fireworks only was over $5 million USD.
 It's pretty obvious that the Chinese know and LOVE fireworks, any chance they can get.
 The show itself was about 25 minutes and truly spectacular.  Our hotel room window was literally shaking with the reverberations. 

No comments: