Sunday, February 24, 2013

My neighborhood

So I received a request to learn a bit more about my neighborhood.  Darn good idea I thought, so thank you Chip!

The actual neighborhood I live in is referred to generally speaking as the French Concession.  Now to get technical on it there was a humorous story earlier this year.  A restaurant opened up a new location and took out advertising in the paper to announce.  In it they called the location the French Concession.  The official term is the "Former French Concession."  The locals were furious and the restaurant was fined about 50,000rmb (roughly $8,000usd).  In fact the locals don't even want it referred to as the Former French Concession as some feel it is offensive to China's past.

Reality is that all the foreigners call it this.  The neighborhood itself has plenty of history.  What drew me to it was the real neighborhood feel, the old trees and the character.  It's one of the most popular areas to live for the foreigners at least within the city.  Interestingly there are not many large compounds in the area.  Rather it's known for homes, individual apartment building, small businesses, etc. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shanghai_French_Concession
 This is my apartment building.  It's not a large "compound" but rather a single building.  The first 9 floors are commercial units and then 10-23 are residential.  I'm on the 10th floor which makes it nice.  I can make plenty of noise and the neighbors downstairs aren't usually around!
 That is my building in the distance with a theatre/park in the front.
 This is actually a hotel right next door to my place.  Very local hotel, meaning I doubt any foreigners would intentionally stay here.  However I have traveled a lot and have never seen a hotel so narrow!

 Nothing like hanging the laundry out to dry on a nice clear day!  This can be seen all over China as most people don't have washing machines.
 The French Concession is loaded with cool architecture and old relics like this cool stained glass window.
 But the neighborhood also has plenty of "local" attractions, like butcher shops curing their meat outside basically on the street. 
Or people transporting large big screen TV's on bicycles!



No comments: