Wednesday, March 13, 2013

India - Agra

Well I've lived in China for 4 of the past 5 years at this point.  I've always said I wanted the chance to see India, but at the same time sometimes you "get what you asked for" is the theory in business over here.  What I was always cognizant of is while I'd like to visit one time and see what it's all about, I wasn't sure I would want to go again and again.

So bring on my first trip to India.  I was there last week for work as late in 2012 a decision was made in the company that our India office would essentially report to me through Shanghai.  So after plenty of b.s. getting a Visa I was off to Delhi. 

My flight took me to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia and then on to Delhi arriving at the Westin hotel late on a Friday night.  This was my welcome gift from the hotel...
Beers?  Cheese/crackers?  They must have known a born and bred Cheesehead was coming!

 Saturday morning I met with our local GM, met the driver and began the fun part of the journey.  Off to Agra, home of the Taj Mahal.  But first a 3 plus hour drive...
Never figured out what was on this cart but the colors are symbolic of what you do see in India.  Very cool.


Thankfully this wasn't my ride!  No window on the passenger side (yes that means they drive on the "wrong" side of the road), a destroyed front fender and enough bling to be distracting!
Before the Taj I checked into my hotel in Agra and found this waiting.  Awesome!

Notice the driver isn't riding the bike but walking it to propel forward on the slight uphill.

Near the entry to the outer gates of the Taj Mahal

Stunning!

Amazing attention to detail

The view and photo that one must get at the Taj from the approach.

My guide "Vinnie" wanted a natural walking photo, so here goes...

Look at how huge I am able to grab the Taj in my hand!

Cutting the grass in India I guess is a two man job.  Man on the right pulls the mower towards him...but notice he has bare feet.  Hope he still has all 10 toes.


Damn cool photo!!!

All the inlays in the Taj were hand applied. 

There are some great areas to take scenic cool photos like this.


Vinnie my guide for the afternoon!



Fix that bike up.

This is at the Red Fort which is the 2nd of the main tourist attractions in Agra.

Even the lawn at the Red Fort is done simulating a famous textile design in India.

That is the Taj in the distance.

There is a reason its called the Red Fort!


Very cool accents in the hotel

More from the hotel


I believe this is lemon's but I took it from the car on the drive.

Sunday morning I headed back to Delhi, again another 3+ hour drive navigating all sorts of vehicles.  More on Delhi in the next post...


No comments: