Saturday, January 12, 2008

My Apartment




The next moning I decide on an apartment. Now the fun begins. With the help of one of my Chinese colleagues as well as the apartment agent we have to negotiate with the owner of the unit. Everything is negotiable from the price to furniture to appliances. I ask for a lower price, DVD player, TV for bedroom, hanging machine to dry clothes outside, etc. All in all we get the lower price and come to agreement. The lease is also in Chinese so I need help with that. Literally it took longer to sign this lease than it has to close on a condo in Chicago! Now I have to buy sheets, towels, iron, dishes, pots, pans, pretty much everything that is needed to live. Off to trips at WalMart. In one of these photos you see Mike (the colleague who has lived her for 18 months and returns in March to the US) and Bob (our driver) helping to cart some stuff out of the store to take home.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That's a pretty pimped out place! Nice negotiating!

nmitchell said...

Thanks. But looks can be deceiving. I will give an update as I find out more of the kinks but it has a bunch!
nolan