Saturday, January 12, 2008

"No drunk, no home"



My team threw me a welcoming party/dinner on Friday night just a couple days after arriving. As the guest of honor I was pretty much required to be the first to try each of the foods that came out. Thankfully my team was good to me and didn't get too much crazy food. The first item that came out was something that I found out later to be fish skin (no clue what kind of fish). It was SUPER spicy. Unfortunately our drinks had yet to arrive so my mouth was on fire! It gave everyone a good laugh at me.

After the food was done one of the guys raised his glass to me, welcomed me and then said "Gambai" which basically translates to - bottoms up! So we both had to chug down our glass of beer. No big deal right? Wrong! Once he was done the next person did the same with me. Basically it was about 12 of them versus Mike and myself. One by one they kept trying to take me out. This went on for about an hour and a half. As you can see from one of the photos there was a large supply of empty bottles.

This night was when I learned of the dinner custom: "No drunk, no home." Thankfully I'm bigger than them and being a Cheesehead I can hold my beer pretty well.

No comments: