Friday, July 11, 2008

Insurance

Today was another day of firsts for me. Over the last 6 weeks or so I have had on again, off again lower back pain. It got real bad the other night and then I started to notice numbness in my foot. So despite not wanting to ever visit a hospital in China, my GM here pretty much forced me. She took me to a nice hospital that was relatively modern. However the nurses outfits were funny. Straight out of the 1950's with the white caps and all!

Long story short I got a CT scan and met with a doctor who spoke no English. My GM is a great translator but when it comes to medical that's a whole different ball game. So I could see the problem on the scan but I never did get the official and correct diagnosis.

He did some sort of Chinese healing by trying to realign me and then gave me some prescriptions. (FYI I do have a doctor visit scheduled the day after I get home and I get to bring my CT scan film with me!)

Of course my insurance isn't accepted here so you pay for everything at the time of treatment (before treatment actually). So now you see my two receipts for the medical visit. I thought it was hard enough to submit reimbursement claims when they were in English. This is going to be ridiculous!!

This one is for the treatment and CT scan (remember you can click on the image for a close up)...

This one is for the prescriptions...

2 comments:

Natalie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Natalie said...

Ironically, despite the Chinese, those seem easier to read than 75% of the insurance statements that come to my house! Between the office visit charge, the facility charge, the doctor's fee, the lab charge and all of the other miscellaneous stuff, they might as well be written in a foreign language!

Hope your back is feeling better!