Sunday, July 20, 2008

Triathlon training

Right about now a few of you back home are training for various triathlon races around the country and in all honesty making me a bit jealous! Then again not getting up for 5AM workouts isn't the worst thing in the world!

As I've said before there is not much triathlon here in China. They do have some phenomenal races in Asia though - Hong Kong, Malaysia, Singapore, Taiwan, Korea, etc. All are supposed to be super race. Problem is, how do I train?

All training is tough because of the pollution and terrible air quality. More than a couple days of outdoor training in a row and I end up with a sore throat. I'm good with a swimming pool. While it's not open water training it will work.

Then comes the bike. Here is a photo of my bike back in the US. Nothing great but it gets the job done...

I do have a bike here that I purchased from a friend. Cost me 100RMB or about $13 US. More about this bike in a minute. This past week when I was in Hong Kong I decided to look around and try to find a road bike. They do have some stores so I went to one that seemed like it had a good selection. In reality they had about 10 to choose from. Probably middle to high end with some costing as much as $6,000 US for the bike alone not to mention everything else!

So I decided to think about my plans some more and determine what I might want. So for now my mode of transportation around town is my 100RMB bike. It's yellow, has a girls frame to it, is rusty, isn't my size at all, etc... I guess this is my sacrifice for living here for now!
Good luck to those of you doing races coming up! Keep me posted as to how they go!

No comments: