Saturday, March 6, 2010

The Job

So what do I do these days you ask? I'm working for a NY based textile company that sells fabric basically. We sell to manufacturer's and retailers directly. Fabric to be used on sofa's, for outdoor furniture, for bedding and window treatments. I'm responsible for the upholstery business (meaning for sofa's, chairs, etc).

So it has kept me in the same industry - furniture basically - but at the same time almost everything is new to me. New customers, new terminology, new processes, etc. Lots to learn.

In addition to direct sales I also essentially run the operations of the office. We've got about 45 people right now and hiring more. There are two other Americans here as well. One handles our contract business and product sourcing and has been here for 3 years. She's been a huge help so far! The other moved over just after me and he is going to be responsible for all our quality issues.

So long story is I sell fabric to customers, run the office and spend a fair amount of time entertaining customers. When a customer lands in China they are usually 12-14hours upside down so to speak. Having an American they can count on to take them to a decent dinner or grab drinks is a relief for those who don't know where to go.
So it will become my job to be their concierge here in China. Not a bad gig all in all but lots of work.

No comments: