Sunday, January 30, 2011

Mao Live

Last night I went to a place called Mao Live to see some live music with a buddy.  It was the final night for this venue and the show was to include 7 different bands.  When we arrived and went to check our coats they wouldn't give us a ticket for them.  They simply said they were out of tickets and to get your jacket back it is pretty much the honor system.  Well I didn't go for that as it was my warmest winter jacket and I couldn't risk losing it.

Once we got it we found the place to be packed to the gills!  Probably 90% local Chinese with the rest being foreigners here and there. 

We watched three bands play.  I would say the first two were punk/rock type...kind of like the Chinese version of the Violent Femmes.  All the music was in English but that didn't help me recognize any of the music.  The last band was Heavy Metal with the lead signer being Chinese with dreadlocks!  That's a new one for me. 

A pretty cool night and different but after a few sets we had to get out of there, not quite my music scene.


No comments: