Monday, March 5, 2012

Future employee

I thought I would share an email I received today to give you an idea of some of those things that happen here, make me scratch my head and say over and over "you can't make this stuff up."  This is from my HR manager regarding a person we have hired who is starting next week.  I removed his name and put "future employee" instead.  

To top it off I've spent the last 3 days working here with two people from our New York office, being our COO and the CFO.  The CFO just started the beginning of this year.  Since our NY office doesn't have an HR department, he unofficially has that role too.  So needless to say with them in town my time is preoccupied and a bit stressful.  I passed the email to him so he could see why in fact we need an HR department here.  Enjoy the story.  

Nolan,
I received a call from the future employee (Nolan: name removed) girlfriend (or ex-girlfriend)’s mother’s call this morning, complaining his issue with her daughter. She said (future employe) made her daughter pregnant but he does not want the baby and asked her daughter to do an abortion. She said (future employee) has bad ethics and no virtue. And why (future employee) left the former company is because he cannot stay there, because she has gone to (future employee's) old company to talk to his manager about this issue and defamed his reputation. So (future employee) cannot stay and find a new job. And she even told me, if we hire him, she will still come to our company to talk to me and GM. She asked us not to hire (future employee) and will try her best to let (future employee) lose his job, as she claimed ‘(future employee) is a person with no virtue or ethics’….

I also did a reference check to (future employee's) former company; their HR said his performance is very good. When I tried to explore his personal things based on the phone, their HR did not want to talk about it.
I have talked to Paul about this at noon. We both think it is (future employee) private things. We have no right to interfere with his personal issue. But we both have a concern: this woman, the girl’s mother, probably will come to our company to ‘talk’ to us, which will have a really bad influence on the company. People will gossip. Therefore, I also called (future employee) to get his personal things done, not to let this influence the company or his job. (Future employee) claimed it is slander.

Maybe it is too funny or ridiculous to foreigners: a mother involved in a relationship made the things so complicated: the boy lost his job, and the girl has no fame…What’s the good point to let everyone know this poor story?

Please advise. We ignore this, or give him up. I know you are very busy and don’t want to bother you. But it is emergency. (Future employee) is supposed to be on board on Monday.


There is lots in this story that doesn't add up but two things stand out.  Firstly how in the world the mother found out he was coming to work with us?  Secondly, he wasn't fired from the previous company unless it was in the past couple of weeks, since we know he was employed when we made him an offer.  My ruling on the issue was that this is a private matter and our offer still stood.  If the mother comes to our office to complain we will simply call the police...or I have an alternative to that.  That being we have US person here running our quality control department.  He's about 50 years old but still is a power lifter and has a very deep voice.  I'm sure if the mom got out of control that Kevin could handle most anything!
 

No comments: