Thursday, March 8, 2012

International Women's Day

So how many of you in the US celebrate "International Women's Day?"  And by that I don't mean that you've heard of it, but how many get gifts or time off because of it?

I honestly don't think I had heard of it really until moving to China in 2008 for the first time.  I guess most of the rest of the world celebrates it to some degree, all certainly celebrate it more than Americans.

Well for now the 3rd year in a row I've had to give the women in our office a half day of work on this holiday.  That wouldn't be so bad except 85% or more of our office is women!  In fact to make matters worse we had two guys in our office who worked this morning but never came back to work after lunch.  Unless they've had a gender change that I hadn't heard of I can't figure why they didn't work today. 

I'm all for holidays, vacations, etc but between the Chinese holidays that are on weekends and then if you get certain days off you have to make them up during a different weekend and Women's Day 1/2 day of work, I simply don't get it!

No comments: