Monday, March 19, 2012

Singapore 70.3

Well folks like always I tend to pick the tough races.  I mean what better way to prove to oneself that you just love the pain and misery associated with a tough race? 

Yesterday was the 70.3 Singapore race.  For those of you who don't know what the 70.3 stands for it is the total distance in miles of the race.  1.2mile swim (1.9k), 56mile bike (90k) and 13.1mile run (21.1k). 

The swim took place in the sea and wasn't bad.  My time wasn't good but between a lack of swim training and the fact that the current kept blowing me all over the place I was actually happy with my time.  Then for the bike.  It was a lot of fun and a perfect course for me.  By that I mean it was FLAT!  If I was in excellent shape I would have just opened it up and laid on the gas 100%.  But overall I was happy with the bike portion finishing that just under 3 hours. 

Which brings me to the run...and about 11am.  As you can see in this article below about the pro side of the race, it kind of got warm.  Can you say ambient heat of 102 degrees????  When you figured I started the run at 11am and it took me a super slow 3 hours, I was pretty much running in the dead of the heat!

All in all I finished the race right at 7 hours (still 30 minutes faster than last July in Jeju, South Korea).  I was hoping for a time of about 6:25 going into it.  But the lack of training really just proved you can't do one of these races without putting in the necessary time in advance. 

ironman703singapore.com/
http://ironman.com/events/ironman70.3/singapore70.3/hot-stars-hot-weather-and-hot-racing-in-singapore#axzz1pVUYPFgH

No comments: