Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Fabric Show - Hospital

As I mentioned in my last post we had our annual textile show a few weeks back.  It's a multi-purpose show for us as we not only have a large space but we also use the time to look for new suppliers, check out new constructions, etc.

Well this show was a first of sorts as I will explain.  We set up the show one afternoon with few problems and came back to work it the next day.  Towards the middle of the day a few of us started noticing our eyes were dry and itchy.  It only got worse as the day went on.

That night I got a text from my local general manager.  He was heading to the hospital in the morning with what he thought was an allergic reaction.  His face was turning red, eyes really bloodshot and itchy and all in all uncomfortable.  The next day everyone continued to get a bit worse.  The GM called me from the hospital and said that they suspected Formaldehyde poisoning!  I checked with booths near us and nobody else had issues.  So we deduced it must have been something in the construction of our space, be it the carpeting, walls or even furniture.

By end of the 2nd day I was pretty miserable but we only had one day to go.  What I started to notice was that the skin on my forearms, that wasn't covered by a shirt, was prickly almost like little needles.  That next day another woman went to the hospital and got treatment.  However day 3 in itself was much better at least from the environment.  I think the formaldehyde slowly worked its way out and was less of a problem.

All in all not much we could do but pack up our stuff and get out of there!  I won't be using those contractors again next year!

No comments: