Thursday, September 29, 2011

Jet Lag

As some of you know I went back to the US last week for some work and a family wedding, more on all that in the next post.  The real reason for this post is to rant a bit on jet lag and how bizarre it is.

My trip to the US was a direct flight from Shanghai to Newark on United/Continental.  Sitting in coach for 14.5 hours isn't the most conducive for getting sleep of course.  Then it didn't help that I had what I would guess is an 80 year old Chinese couple next to me who kept trying to speak to me and had to get up many times (completely understandable).  However on that 14.5 hour flight I slept less than one.

Upon arriving in NY and for the next 3-4 days I was lucky if I got 3-4 hours of sleep.  Usually until no later than 2AM depending on when I went to sleep.  And this is also with taking Ambien.

Then for the return to Shanghai, I arrived Monday afternoon.  Took a nap which should have been 2 hours and ended up 5.  Whoops!  I awoke at 9PM thinking there was no way I could fall asleep.  Well 11PM comes, I take an Ambien and sleep through the night awaking at 6AM.  Tuesday was probably 9PM until 6AM.  Now Wednesday night was a little less but I have a ton on my mind and a ton to do so maybe that is it.

But if anyone can truly explain why jet lag is so different from one trip to the next I would love to know.  It's always been easier coming to China than heading back to the US, I get that.  But still the variances are amazing from trip to trip.

In any event back to China for a few days before off on a trip of a lifetime...more on that later.

No comments: