Sunday, March 11, 2012

"If you can train here, you can race anywhere!"

That is the quote of the local Shanghai Triathlon Club.  While I haven't really joined them for training or races, I'm on their email distribution lists and hear that quote over and over.  It really makes sense when you consider the heavy air pollution, congested city streets making running difficult and biking near impossible/suicidal, the lack of swimming pools or lakes and the freezing/damp/rainy winters combined with the intensely hot/humid summers. 

So it's with that mindset that I'm now 1 week away from my first race of the year.  I'm doing a half Ironman in Singapore next Sunday, the day after St Paddy's day (guess I will have to hold off having a Guinness or 10 until the 18th!).  As usual my training has been less than stellar over here.  What with 5 colleagues from the US in the past 2-3 weeks, the month long rain spell and everything else it has been brutal!

On the positive side I got out yesterday and biked 30k and followed that up with a 10k run.  It was the first outdoor bike ride since last fall and it felt good to be out there. 

Given my lack of preparation, I'm going into this race treating it as a very long training day rather than a race.  The course description leads me to believe that this race is well suited for me.  Other than temps expected in the upper 80's (I'm used to the lower 40's right now) the course does play to my strengths.  Both the bike and run are supposed to be flat and fast.

In any event that's enough for this weekend...don't forget to change your clocks over there for daylight savings! 


No comments: