Saturday, July 2, 2011

Korea

Well I'm in Korea for the first time.  Down at the very south on an island called Jeju.  Here for the 1/2 Ironman race tomorrow.  So far it has been a challenge.  My flight was delayed about 2 hours on the runway leaving Shangai causing me to be packed like a sardine next to the window for longer than I cared to be.  Then from the airport there was two options - take a taxi (with my bike) for about 300,000won which I converted to be about $300!  Nope!  Or take the airport limo bus.  Problem was the buses run every 15-20 min and could only take 2-3 bikes at any given time.  So with all the folks on the flight with a bike I ended up with the 3rd bus.  Finally after getting to the bus stop I got a taxi to take to my hotel.  Unfortunately since I booked late my hotel is probably 5 miles from the race hotels and start of the race (which will mean some planning for tomorrow early morning). 

So it's now about 8PM and I get to the hotel, figuring I will check in and grab some food since I really haven't eaten all day.  Except the hotel doesn't seem to have a restaurant!  Thankfully there is a convenience store inside so I grab some chips, water and a Snickers along with shampoo because there is none in the room.  Not exactly the meal needed for the two days before the race. 

The hotel is nice but it has its quirks for sure.  No light except for the overhead light in the room that must be turned off by the entry, so not while in bed.  No soap or shampoo in the room.  No tourist guides or hotel information.  All in all just weird.  But it's clean and relatively new.

Today I've gotten the bike rebuilt with no problems and am now off to get a ride in, loosen up the legs a bit and see if I can get myself to the race starting area. 

No comments: