Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Photos from Korea

Only about 250 folks entered the 70.3 race which is only slightly more than I have had in a group in Chicago which boasts more than 8,000 total racers.

And we are off, into the ocean swim.  Still only my 2nd time swimming in ocean waters and I always have that feeling of looking around me for that shark!  While some people grew up swimming in the ocean, loving the feel of the saltwater that gives you the extra buoyancy, I can't shake that feeling of looking for the shark feeding on the slow guy...me!
Out of the water about 43 minutes after starting, which given my history and recent training is not a bad time.  Once I relaxed and got into it I had no problems.

And onto the bike and those darn rolling hills.  In looking at an elevation change map of the course it looks like the longest climb was right in the first mile or so.  The complication I had was that my bike struggled to change gears for a bit.  I was in a tough gear and trying to change but no luck until I had given up and then all of a sudden all the gears dropped.  Thankfully only once on the course did I lose the chain and have to stop for that.  More importantly I had no flat tires to fix.


Early on in the run we passed these statues which look pretty funny.  I guess there are many stories as to what they are, what they mean, etc. I guess it's up to you to decide what you think.
And finally the finish line.  Eyes closed, totally out of it and ready to be done and get some food in my system.

So what is next race wise?  I'm not sure.  I met a great group of people in Korea who live throughout Asia and travel to races together so there are opportunities.  Maybe to Taiwan in November or maybe hold off until doing something in spring next year.

No comments: